As you search for the best virtual mailbox in Michigan to handle your mail, it begins to feel impossible to tell them apart. They may all seem the same, but they are NOT. As someone who has been using virtual addresses for more than a decade, what I’ve learned will help you choose the best location and company for your needs.
The features you need to look for in a Michigan virtual address are outlined below, but if you’d like, you can skip down to our recommendations, which have been compiled from 10 of the top virtual mailbox companies in the USA.
Recommended Michigan Addresses
While you can find a full list of virtual addresses in Michigan below, these are the four addresses we recommend based on company reputation and available features:
**Note: The links in this article may be affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you, I may be compensated if you choose to use one of these virtual addresses in Michigan.
To learn more about choosing and setting up a virtual mailbox, use the following table of contents to navigate throughout this resource.
- How to Choose a Michigan Virtual Mailbox
- How to Set Up a Virtual Mailbox in Michigan
- Top Virtual Mailbox Providers in Detroit, MI
- Full List of Virtual Addresses in Michigan
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Choose a Michigan Virtual Mailbox
Michigan consists of two peninsulas, Upper and Lower Peninsulas, and the Mackinac Bridge connects the two. It borders four out of five of the Great Lakes, and has one of the longest freshwater coastlines of any U.S. state.
Michigan has developed a very diverse economy, but has become known as a major economic force in the automotive industry. Its capital is Lansing, but Metro Detroit is among the nation’s most populous and largest metropolitan economies.
There are two primary questions to ask when choosing a Michigan virtual address:
- What features do I need?
- Is this for business or personal use?
Let’s explore both of these questions.
Features to Look For
Numerous benefits come with having a Michigan virtual mailbox, which provides individuals and businesses with a real, physical mailing address in the state. When you use this kind of mailbox instead of a PO box you get features like scanning, mail forwarding, local pickup and mail shredding.
The most valuable features that come with a virtual mailbox company are explained below:
- Scans/Opens: Your virtual mailbox scans each piece of mail you receive. Review each provider plan to find out how many scans (and page scans) you are allowed per month. If there are fees associated with going over, you’ll want to know what that is!
- Mail Forwarding: Not only will you be able consolidate your mail, but you can forward it anywhere you want, If you need international forwarding, make sure the plan includes that. Lastly, take note of is what shipping providers they use. For instance, PostScan Mail contracts with multiple shipping providers, which often means you pay less for shipping (see our PostScan Mail review here)
- Local Pickup: You may want to go to the address to pick up your mail sometimes, and if so, check if this is permitted. Not all addresses allow this, or if they do, some charge a fee (usually $1-$3).
- Check Deposit: Currently, most providers offer check deposit as a feature, but it’s worth double-checking.
- Primary Hub Address: Most virtual mailbox companies contract with independent mail centers to provide address locations. The downside to this model is that they don’t have any control over quality or security. For this reason, it’s worth considering a virtual mailbox primary hub, particularly if you’re a small business.
There are obviously other features to consider, but often this boils down to your use case: are you using this address in Michigan for a business or for personal use?
Virtual Business Address in Michigan
Michigan has plenty of virtual mailbox services to choose from, so it’s essential to know what you’re looking for and choose wisely. You may want to consider a virtual address located in a business park as opposed to an independent mail center in a strip mall.
Not only would it be more security if you receive large volumes of mail, but it’s also a more professional look for your business.
If you plan to use a virtual address for an LLC in Michigan (yes, you can do this), it’s critical to choose a company that has been in business for a number of years. It’s very inconvenient to have to change your business address because your virtual mailbox company went out of business!
There are multiple cities across Michigan that you can choose from for a virtual address for businesses, and digitizing your mail can save a lot of time, money and headache.
Virtual Address for Individuals in MI
Virtual mailboxes aren’t just services for businesses; You can easily use it for you and your family as a personal virtual addresses. Starting at about ten dollars a month, you can have both a greater level or privacy as well as the benefits it offers.
Giving out your private home address would become a thing of the past – now, you can provide your virtual address instead!
Popular providers like iPostal1, Anytime Mailbox, PostScan Mail, and Traveling Mailbox cater to the needs of individuals and families, making it easy to find a service that suits your personal requirements.
How to Set Up Your Michigan Virtual Mailbox
Setting up a virtual mailbox in Michigan requires a few steps but overall is a very straight-forward process. This includes:
- Choose Your Address: Find the best plan and address that works for you, and then sign up.
- USPS Form 1583: You’ll have to sign and notarize a US government required form – USPS Form 1583 – which allows another company to receive and open mail on your behalf. Oftentimes, virtual mailbox providers make it very easy to submit this form during the sign up process.
- Set Up Authorized Recipients: Most mailboxes allow for at least two authorized recipients (i.e. you and your spouse or your name and your business name). Each recipient will need to have a notarized Form 1583 on file with the company.
- Start Receiving Mail: The set up process usually only takes about an hour, after which you can start giving out your new Michigan virtual address.
- Manage Your Digital Mailbox: As you begin to receive mail, your mailbox dashboard will provide you with scans of any incoming mail and give you options for what you can do with that mail. Learn more about how a virtual mailbox works.
Once you’re all set up, apply for a change of address (temporary or permanent) online or at your local US post office. Your chosen provider will then scan your mails and packages and upload them to your virtual mailbox for easy access.
Top Virtual Mailbox Providers in Detroit, MI
Looking for the best virtual mailbox providers in Detroit? iPostal1, PostScan Mail, and Anytime Mailbox are all excellent options. These providers offer a range of features and services, such as secure mail and package services from USPS, FedEx, UPS, and DHL, as well as a professional business address and email notification when mail arrives.
The cost of these top virtual mailbox providers in Detroit starts at just $9.99 a month depending on your volume of mail and number of scans. Here is our curated list of the best virtual addresses in Detroit, MI.
For a full list of available virtual addresses in Detroit, sort the full list of Michigan addresses below.
Full List of Michigan Virtual Addresses
We’ve done the hard work of researching the best virtual address companies and collecting a full list of every available Michigan address.
Use the sort and search functions on the table below to find what you’re looking for. Because of the amount of information, it’s often better to view this table from a desktop computer as opposed to your mobile device.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve compiled the most common questions we receive about using a virtual mailbox (in Michigan or anywhere), but this is just the tip of the iceberg. We have a ton of great resources to learn about virtual addresses that you can browse.
Yes, you can use a virtual address for your LLC in Michigan. You need to register your business with the Michigan Secretary of State and provide a physical address, rather than a P.O. box, as your registered address.
Virtual address works by allowing you to choose an actual physical address that is owned by a virtual address service. Mail sent to this address is received and scanned by the company before being uploaded to the cloud, giving you access to view and interact with the mail remotely. Learn more about how a virtual address works here.
Michigan is a popular state to register a business because they offer favorable tax incentives, particularly for corporations who do not do business in the state. For this reasons, you’ll see many international businesses set up their US base in Michigan.