You’re searching in Maine to find the best virtual mailbox to handle your mail, but it’s hard to tell the difference between them all. While they may seem similar, I can assure you they are NOT. As someone who has been using virtual addresses for more than a decade, what I’ve learned will help you choose the best location and company for your needs.
You’ll see an explanation below of the features to look for in a Maine virtual address, but you can also choose to skip down to our recommendations, pulled together from more than 10 of the top virtual mailbox companies in the USA.
Recommended Maine Addresses
While you can find a full list of virtual addresses in Maine below, these are the four addresses we recommend based on company reputation and available features:
**Note: The links in this article may be affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you, I may be compensated if you choose to use one of these virtual addresses in Maine.
To learn more about choosing and setting up a virtual mailbox, use the following table of contents to navigate throughout this resource.
- How to Choose a Maine Virtual Mailbox
- How to Set Up a Virtual Mailbox in Maine
- Top Virtual Mailbox Providers in Portland, ME
- Full List of Virtual Addresses in Maine
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Choose a Maine Virtual Mailbox
Maine is the easternmost state in the New England region and also the most rural of the 50 U.S. states. Known as the “Pine Tree State,” over 80% of its land is forested and uninhabited. Maine is well known for its fresh, quality seafood cuisine, arguably some of the best-tasting around the globe.
Over the years, Maine’s economy has shifted from fishing, manufacturing and agriculture, to a more service-based industry. Maine’s capital is Augusta, and its most populous city is Portland, great options as you look for your business or personal virtual address.
There are two primary questions to ask when choosing a Maine virtual address:
- What features do I need?
- Is this for business or personal use?
Let’s explore both of these questions.
Features to Look For
A Maine virtual mailbox comes with incredible benefits, which of course includes a real, physical mailing address in the state. The advantages of using this kind of mailbox instead of a PO box means that you get scanning, mail forwarding, local pickup and mail shredding.
The following features are considered to be the most valuable in a virtual mailbox company:
- Scans/Opens: You should carefully review the available plans for each provider to see how many pieces of mail you can receive per month as well as how many pages can be scanned per month without incurring additional fees. Those fees add up quickly!
- Mail Forwarding: A virtual address gives you the ability to consolidate your mail and forward it anywhere. Check whether your address allows for international forwarding (if that’s what you need). Also find out which providers they use. For instance, PostScan Mail has contracts with multiple shipping providers, which usually means you pay less for shipping (see our PostScan Mail review here)
- Local Pickup: Some virtual addresses allow you to drive to pick up your mail but some do not (some charge a $1-$3 fee). Check the details of the address if you plan to be near enough to pick up your mail occasionally.
- Check Deposit: Most providers do offer check deposit as a feature, but you may still want to double-checking.
- Primary Hub Address: Most virtual mailbox companies contract with independent mail centers to provide address locations. This model has a downside – they don’t have any control over quality or security. That’s why it’s worth considering a virtual mailbox primary hub, particularly if you’re a small business.
There are obviously other features to consider, but often this boils down to your use case: are you using this address in Maine for a business or for personal use?
Virtual Business Address in Maine
Because there are so many options of virtual mailbox providers, you really need to choose one that fits your particular business needs. If security is your highest priority or if you receive large volumes of mail, choose a virtual address located in a business park as opposed to an independent mail center in a strip mall.
It would also give your business a more professional look.
If you plan to use a virtual address for an LLC in Maine (yes, you can do this), it’s critical to choose a company that has been in business for a number of years. It’s very inconvenient to have to change your business address because your virtual mailbox company went out of business!
Maine has several great cities to choose from for a virtual address for businesses, and digitizing your mail can save a lot of time, money and headache.
Virtual Address for Individuals in ME
These services are just as useful if you want to use it for your personal virtual addresses. You and your family can enjoy the benefits of a virtual mailbox, including greater privacy, for only about ten dollars a month.
You won’t have to worry about giving out your personal home address anymore – you can provide your virtual address instead!
Your individual or family needs can be catered to with popular providers like iPostal1, Anytime Mailbox, PostScan Mail, and Traveling Mailbox. These service options make it easy to find a service that suits your personal requirements.
How to Set Up Your Maine Virtual Mailbox
Setting up a virtual mailbox in Maine requires a few steps but overall is a very straight-forward process. This includes:
- Choose Your Address: First you need to choose the Maine address and plan that meets your needs, and sign up it.
- USPS Form 1583: The US government requires you to sign and notarize a USPS Form 1583 consent if another company is going to be receiving your mail. Virtual mailbox providers often make this very easy to submit during the sign up process.
- Set Up Authorized Recipients: Most mailboxes allow for at least two authorized recipients (i.e. you and your spouse or your name and your business name). Form 1583 must be on file for each authorized recipient with the company.
- Start Receiving Mail: The set up process usually only takes about an hour, after which you can start giving out your new Maine virtual address.
- Manage Your Digital Mailbox: When you start receiving mail, your mailbox dashboard will show you the scans of any incoming mail and give you options for what you can do with that mail. Learn more about how a virtual mailbox works.
After getting all set up, make sure to apply for a change of address (temporary or permanent) online or at your local US post office. Your chosen provider will then scan your mails and packages and upload them to your virtual mailbox for easy access.
Top Virtual Mailbox Providers in Portland, ME
Do you need to find a mailbox provider specifically in Portland? Two of your best options are provided by PostScan Mail and Anytime Mailbox. These providers offer a range of features and services, such as secure mail and package services from USPS, FedEx, UPS, and DHL, as well as a professional business address and email notification when mail arrives.
For a full list of available virtual addresses in Portland, sort the full list of Maine addresses below.
Full List of Maine Virtual Addresses
The work we’ve done of researching the best virtual address companies will hopefully make your job easier. This collection is a full list of every available Maine address.
Use the sort and search functions on the table below to find what you’re looking for. Because of the amount of information, it’s often better to view this table from a desktop computer as opposed to your mobile device.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve compiled the most common questions we receive about using a virtual mailbox (in Maine or anywhere), but this is just the tip of the iceberg. We have a ton of great resources to learn about virtual addresses that you can browse.
Yes, you can use a virtual address for your LLC in Maine. You need to register your business with the Maine Secretary of State and provide a physical address, rather than a P.O. box, as your registered address.
Virtual address works by allowing you to choose an actual physical address that is owned by a virtual address service. Mail sent to this address is received and scanned by the company before being uploaded to the cloud, giving you access to view and interact with the mail remotely. Learn more about how a virtual address works here.
Maine is a popular state to register a business because they offer favorable tax incentives, particularly for corporations who do not do business in the state. For this reasons, you’ll see many international businesses set up their US base in Maine.